Sunday, July 28, 2013

British Artillery & Equipment of the SYW



British Light 12-pounder at Fort Ligonier, Pennsylvania

I downloaded the pictures that I took with my camera whilst on the road to Fredericksburg and Historicon last week. I used my iPad primarily for indoor pictures and my Canon digital camera for the outdoor photos. It is my intention to eventually add models of these cannon and supporting equipment to the Fife & Drum artillery equipment range.

I spent the whole morning of July 17th at Fort Ligonier, photographing cannon and measuring the wheel diameters and carriage lengths for a number of pieces of equipment. It was hot work, as the temperature soared over 90 degrees Fahrenheit. But the results were worth the hard work.



Closer view of some of the tube detail on the light 12-pounder.
The ammunition boxes are covered in canvas, painted the same color as the gun carriage. In the picture above, you can detect some red paint on the left-hand box, suggesting that the carriage might have been painted red at one time.


British 6-pounder with limber at Fort Ligonier. This piece was the workhorse of both the British and Continental armies during the American Revolution.

Next we have pictures of the British 5.5-inch howitzer:


British 5-inch howitzer at Fort Ligonier


A closer view of the carriage and tube details.
And finally, there were a number of mortars on display at Fort Ligonier:

British 8-inch mortar at Fort Ligonier



Detail on the tube of the mortar.


Later in the week I will post some more pictures from Fort Ligonier; this time, showing some of the wagons used to move ammunition and supplies.

3 comments:

  1. Might have to arrange a trip across the pond that is not aimed at Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice pics; it is a fantastic collection of ordnance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that you comment on the red showing on the storage box covers. When I visited Fort Ligonier in 2008 the covers on all the pieces were a sort of terra cotta red. I used some as photo reference for my painting of "Lucille" in this blog posting
    http://notjustoldschool.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/lady-hussars-anyone.html. I assumed the red was historically accurate, do you think they have come up with new evidence for them being the same colour as the gun carriage?
    Cheers
    Chris

    ReplyDelete