Monday, November 13, 2017

In Memorium - Janet Akers (1948 - 2017)


Painted by Janet Akers

This past weekend, we held a memorial service for my sister, Janet Purky Akers (1948 - 2017), who passed away as a result of colon cancer that had spread throughout her body. She was cremated, at her request, and is survived by her two sons Kieth and Alex, my mother (age 95) and me.

Janet Akers was a professional artist and enjoyed traveling to such diverse places as France, Italy, Great Britain, Mexico and Southwestern United States (particularly Sedona and Taos, New Mexico) where she painted landscapes and wildlife. Some samples of her artwork can be seen by clicking on the link to her web site.



I have posted two of her paintings on this blog.


Painted by Janet Akers
The memorial service was held at her house and was attended by approximately 40 of her closest friends, family and acquaintancs. It was not a religious service, but rather, we all gathered to tell stories and our memories of Janet. It was really great to hear about her through her friends as one after another they stepped forward to tell their stories about Janet. We all really could feel her presence at the gathering. I learned many things about my sister that I did not know and I was glad to meet many of the people that I had heard her talk about all of these years.

Janet's colon cancer was discovered 3 year ago when she had her first ever colonoscopy. By then it was too late and had she had a colonoscopy on a regular basis earlier in her life, any polyps would have been discovered and remove and she would still be with us today. I'm sure that she would want me to tell as many people that I could to have a regular check up and colonoscopy after age 50. I ask that anyone reading this to heed her advise to have regular check ups.

Janet was one of those people who always seemed to be followed by bad luck. Like Lemon Snicket, it seemed like a series of unfortate events were her life. However, she always bounced back and persevered, largely through her love of the arts (music, opera, art and painting) and travel. Her artistic talent improved by leaps and bounds over the years and I am amazed at where her skills had taken her  by the time of her passing. Her two sons were the joy of her life and it always came back to her love of her sons and family.

Rest in peace Janet, we will miss you.

I post this report not to seek sympathy and prayers, etc., but rather to have my own memorial to my sister permanently placed in the blogoshere.


30 comments:

  1. My sympathies to you and your family, Jim. This particular malady is well known in my family.

    Your sister's work is an inspiring legacy, thanks for posting the photos.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Understand what you are going through, lost my brother in November 2016. Condolences on your loss. Your sister had a genuine talent.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss Jim. I personally know exactly how hard it can be when a close family member succumbs to this dreadful disease. She will live on however in her wonderful paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Likewise, Jim. You and your family are in my thoughts.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for your loss Jim and she was indeed a talented painter.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  6. my condolances, its good you have fantastic paintings to remember her, all the best

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lost my father to cancer so I understand your grief. She really was a talented painter. My condolensces to you and your family, Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My condolences to you on the loss of your sister. I see talent with a brush runs in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Condolences Jim but her talents will ensure that her memory lives on in the hearts and minds of many.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear of your loss. A nice memorial it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry for your loss. She was an amazing talent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm very sorry for your loss Jim and for your daughter's loss. Its good that you have her paintings to keep her memory alive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Prayers for her family, and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My condolences on losing your sister. I agree, she was indeed talented and it's great you have some of her creative work to remember her by.

    I also agree about colonoscopies. They aren't pleasant, but they are worth doing. I had mine a couple of months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sorry for your family's loss. Your sister has left a glorious legacy in her artwork not to mention her memories of time spent with you and yours.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you all for your kind comments and sympathies, and for the reminder that Janet lives on through her art.

    "The business of life is the acquisition of memories, and in the end, that is all there is."

    Carson - Downton Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jim, my condolences and sympathies for you and your family. Your sister sounds like quite a person and the world is better for being part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Please accept my condolences Jim. I am very sorry for the loss to your family.
    Respectfully,
    Bill P.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry to hear of your loss. Our condolences to you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am sorry for your loss Jim. I hope the happy memories will ease the pain in time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My sincerest condolences, Jim, on the passing of your sister. Her talented artwork is a beautiful tribute, and enhancer of your memories of her. This sad event is especially significant as I am going to have my colonoscopy this morning for polyp surveillance - my father had bowel cancer. I would reinforce your message to all to have regular checkups. Best wishes, Rohan.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very sorry to hear of your loss. Best regards, Bill

    ReplyDelete
  23. Please accept my condolences for the loss of your sister, a truly amazing talent and I'm sure an amazing lady.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So very sorry to hear of your loss, your sisters art and memories will live on for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So sorry to hear of your loss Jim, my thoughts are with you and your family. Best wishes, Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  26. Also my condolences for you, your family.
    First i seen the paintings here and thought, what great work and only afterwards i recognised why you presented those. Because you posted these fine arts its surely also for you most important as positive memory.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sorry for your loss. Glad to hear she'll carry on in the memories of others through her art and friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Gracie,
    Want to tell you how much your friendship has meant to me over the years. We had such fun at UCLA and traveling up to Seattle and San Francisco and in class critiquing scripts. So glad we kept in touch and grew with each other. Had wanted to go to the fall painters invitational in Acacia this fall and maybe swing by and say hello but hello from here!!!

    Busy putting things in order. Getting a new fence for backyard. Keith starts new job next week and Alex is in Cincinnati working for VA Dept.

    Any thank you for years of a wonderful friendship. Think of you often and know you're enjoying beautiful New England.

    Love,
    Janet

    Dear Jim,
    I haven't received a Christmas card this year, the only one I truly await and then I found your blog.

    Through tears, this morning, I re-read the last words I received from your sister in July. They were in response to a card I sent to her for the 4th of July, an electronic animated artsy one, something I often did but this time Janet responded with that letter.


    I will miss your sister, but I will always have her smile in my heart. I am sharing my last words to her, she was a remarkable friend.

    My Dear Janet,
    My heart is aching right now, I've read and re-read your words and I'm trying to comprehend what you're living with and my head hurts because I know nothing I say will help you get better. As I sit at this computer, and look outside at the beautiful trees that surround the house and listen to birds chirping, I realize that these are the moments we need to preserve but then you already knew that; you have been preserving and savoring beautiful moments with your art and sharing it with everyone who touches your soul.

    What I remember most about our time together at UCLA was the fact that I knew this "girl" with an infectious smile, that could light up a room, no matter how upset or confused or unhappy within that moment in time, a smile that projected onto everyone else, one I still see; I can close my eyes and see your smile, through your eyes you have managed to give to so many others, your gift of art and sense of optimism.

    Every Christmas, it is your card I await, for I know I will discover that my friend has experienced another year of travel, study and exploration and through her, I too have traveled and explored parts of this world I may never visit, but I accept that path, because for me, knowing you are happy and enjoying life to its fullest, makes me happy too.

    I don't have to tell you to be strong and brave because you are the most optimistic person I know, remember, my UCLA friend, I love you, you are forever in my heart.

    A wise lady I know wrote : We are part of an important pattern even if we do not fully comprehend its meaning

    ��Gracie

    ReplyDelete